photo whitmore-home_zpsdad9cfe7.png photo whitmore-spacer_zps2a0e07c9.png photo whitmore-believe_zpsc9d51347.png photo whitmore-spacer_zps2a0e07c9.png photo whitmore-single_zps01582287.png

Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

It was ten years ago today I sat in my Ceramics, 1st period class as a sophomore at Trabuco Hills High school when America changed forever. There was a girl who sat at my table whose father was a pilot. She was awaiting a phone call letting her know if her dad was on the flight (that I would later find out) crashed into the World Trade Center in NYC. The phone call came and all was well. Her dad had not taken that flight, for whatever reason. I had been in early-morning seminary and then straight to school. I had not heard anything about planes crashing. And being three hours behind east coast time, I was a little behind in finding out. I remember walking to second period, math class, with Coach Ellis. On my way to class I asked a friend, "what is going on?" She replied, "Tiersha, we are in war." Of course my thoughts went to, "It's the second coming!" But little did I know what really happened. I walked into math class and my teacher had the news on and did not speak one word to the class the entire hour. We all had our faces glued to the TV. The rest of the day was pretty much a blur.

This week has been a whirl of emotions. When I am getting ready in the morning, I always have Good Morning America on. The whole week they have been replaying stories and the sights of September 11, 2001. I was doing a good job at keeping the tears at bay, but there were a couple things that stood out to me.
This story: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/911-decade-american-tragedy-14449673#.TmzW-cqljio.google
And this song (which I heard in the car and the tears would not stop flowing):


Now as I sit hear, with tears streaming down my face as each name is being read on the television of everyone who was killed on 9/11, I am reminded of all my many blessings, my family, friends, and everything I am able to enjoy in this short life. We never know when our lives will be taken, so let us live life to our best ability. I am so sad to watch all of these people who lost their brothers, sister, fathers, mothers, friends, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Someday we will understand why this terrible act was allowed and one day all these family members will be reunited.

September 11, 2001 is a day I will never forget, none of us will. Let us remember and God Bless America.

1 comment:

  1. I just now got around to watching the 2 videos you posted here since we were traveling on Sunday. I remember hearing that song with the little girl at the beginning on the 1-year anniversary and it made me cry all over again. Can't believe it's been 10 years. Thanks for writing such a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete