photo whitmore-home_zpsdad9cfe7.png photo whitmore-spacer_zps2a0e07c9.png photo whitmore-believe_zpsc9d51347.png photo whitmore-spacer_zps2a0e07c9.png photo whitmore-single_zps01582287.png

Saturday, January 5, 2019

California Christmas

This year, we decided to go to Orange County, CA for Christmas. If you didn’t know, I was born and raised in Southern California and Josh and I lived there when Charlotte was born. When Charlotte was just shy of a year and a half is when we first moved to Charlotte, NC. Josh started his career there and we have a lot of wonderful memories. It has been over two years since we had been back (Michael wedding was our last time there) and I really wanted all four of my grandparents to meet Naomi! That was my biggest motive for the trip. Josh had been onboard from day one of mentioning my idea. We booked our flights back in August and planned out every day before we arrived. It was truly like being in heaven, being back. Until we had to fill up the gas tank. ;) Southern California will always be a special place to me and where our family began. The girls were so good on the many plane rides out west and Naomi didn’t make a peep!  Some charmed everyone she met! I’ll just go through each day. Feel free to just skim the photos. :) 

Day 1 we went to the Happiest Place on Earth! It was an early morning and we made it in the park about 30 minutes after it opened. We are not ones to run all over the park but to mosey around and soak it all in. We made our way to Tomorrowland and Josh and Charlotte walked on Space Mountain. We were already off to a good start. We went on the Buzz Lightyear ride, Naomi’s first Disneyland ride! I think she was just overwhelmed. Her head kept moving back and forth. Just trying to look at everything. Pure magic for me! Next we went on the rockets and she loved it! I mean, of course she did! 
































It was pretty crowded, you know when The Haunted Mansion has over an hour long wait. But we still managed to go on every single ride we wanted! I honestly could go to Disneyland every day. I definitely miss the days I did go a lot and am glad I have those memories! 




Day 2 started with visiting my Neilson grandparents. I was so happy that they were feeling up to a visit. It meant so much to me to go see them and have them meet Naomi! Naomi is named after my grandpa’s mom. I have been excited for them to meet her since I found out I was pregnant. They are such strong, faithful individuals and an amazing couple who have been such an example to me over my lifetime. 










Afterward, we headed to Newport Beach, took the girls to see the temple and then to Sprinkles. 





















Balboa Island was up next to watch the boat parade. We got there early, walked around, Josh got his frozen Banana, and crossed over on the ferry. We ate at one of my favorite places, BJ’s! We started losing the Charlotte due to our messed up time change and had to leave about the time the boat parade was starting. We were able to see a lot of the boats as they headed toward the beginning of the route and walked alongside all the decked out houses! 





We started day 3 at my favorite breakfast location, Las Brisas in Laguna Beach. Their breakfast is amazing. My favorite thing to do (besides Disney) is go out for breakfast! I had mentioned in our reservations we wanted an ocean view and we sure got one! We were there for a while and then walked around Laguna Beach. 

















Afterward we headed down to San Clemente to purchase some Rainbows and enjoy another beach city. While we were there, I needed to change the baby and we needed to use the facilities. We went to the new outlets for just this purpose. They were really nice! So weird to have outlets in that area, but great at the same time. I wish they had been there when I lived there! 




For dinner, we headed to The Shops at Mission Viejo to meet my grandparents at Ruby’s. We didn’t do any shopping, but it was fun to see the mall I used to go to all the time! We had a great dinner and Naomi was a big hit!! 












Saturday, Day 4, we started at Melinda park for a couple hours. The weather was so nice and it was great to let Charlotte play for a while. The whole day was just hanging out. Lunch at Cafe Rio, Irvine Spectrum, Pieology and more!!


























Sunday morning we headed to my Sheppard grandparents and went to church with them. I was so happy to see my former Young Women’s President from my high school days and visit with her a bit. We had lunch and visited with my grandparents and Aunt Robyn. The dress Naomi is wearing was made by my Grandma Sheila for me! 












Later that afternoon, I wanted to get a picture of the girls with the Santa at South Coast Plaza. When we arrived, we learned that there was a five hour wait!! Um, excuse me?? So my dreams of that were shattered!  





Next we went to the Charlie Brown display in Costa Mesa. Charlotte loved it, especially the free train rides!









Christmas Eve we headed back to Disney and went to California Adventures. It was crowded, of course, but nothing that took away from the magic! We had so much fun!! My grandparents gave Josh and I some sweatshirts my Grandma had made over the years. At night we put batteries in them and were “lit!” It was freezing when we arrived so I put Naomi in a fleece onesie...hence the outfit change! 


























Christmas Day we started with my Sheppard grandparents in Yorba Linda. Santa went to their house so the girls stockings were hung and ready to be opened. Charlotte did receive two L.O.L. Surprise dolls. I don’t get the hype, but she was happy! We spent the morning eating breakfast, opening presents, and enjoying each other’s company. (And I don’t have any pictures of Christmas morning!)


Around noon, we headed toward Jim and Janice’s house (my dads twin brother) to spend the afternoon with the Neilson’s. Thank you so much for hosting and inviting us to spend the holidays with you! Here is the only picture I got with Naomi and my cousin’s daughter, Taylor!




That evening around 4:00, we headed to LAX. We got there in about an hour! Much quicker than anticipated. We waited for a while, but eventually got on the red-eye to Hartford, CT. 


We had a great time in California and I’m so glad we were able to make it happen. A HUGE thank you to the Gregg Family for letting us stay at there house and making us feel so welcome! And to my Aunt Robyn for letting us use her car the entire trip! Wow! We fee so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment